Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Free Pattern: bHive

I've got a sweet little pattern for you all today! Made with leftover sock yarn, this phone cozy is a quick and cute knit. The honeycomb pattern is achieved through slipped stitches, which makes it much simpler to knit than traditional fair isle. I made mine to fit my new iPhone, but the pattern can easily be adjusted to fit a different phone, a camera, or even a gift card. I had a lot of fun knitting this up and I hope you do too!


bHIVE

Finished Measurements: 2.75 inches wide x 4.75 inches tall.

Gauge: 32 st/44 rows = 4 inches in stockinette.

Needles: Set of 4 US#2/2.75mm dpns or comparable circular needle for magic loop.

Materials:
Main Color (MC): ~35 yards of fingering weight yarn.
[I used Knit Picks Essential (Stroll) Tweed in Russet.]

Contrast Color (CC): ~25 yards of fingering weight yarn.
[I used Koigu Painter's Palette Premium Merino in the P616 colorway.]


Pattern:
Cast on 48 st in MC. Join to work in the round, being careful not to twist.

Work in *K1, P1* rib for an inch.

Round 1: Knit.
Round 2: Purl.

Join CC.
Round 3: With CC, *K6, sl2 wyib* 6 times.
Repeat this row 3 more times.

Switch to MC.
Round 7: Knit.
Round 8: Purl.

Switch to CC.
Round 9: *K2, sl2 wyib, k4* 6 times.
Repeat this row 3 more times.

Switch to MC.
Round 13: Knit.
Round 14: Purl.

Repeat rows 3-14 3 more times.

With MC, work in stockinette for an inch.
Divide stitches evenly over 2 needles. Kitchner stitch bottom of cozy closed.

Weave in ends and enjoy!


Questions or errata?
Contact me at brineydeepdesigns_at_gmail_dot_com!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Too cute! I've never tried fair isle (or any mulit-color designs) because I am too intimidated by it. But this is cute, I may have to try it out!

Kristin said...

It actually is not fair isle; the honeycomb pattern is achieved through slipped stitches. So it goes much more quickly and smoothly than other colorwork patterns.

Anonymous said...

Not having a phone which needs a cozy, I am looking at your pattern as being convertible. That is, as being expandable - into a beanie.

I will just have to figure out how many stitches make a whole honeycomb (which will determine the size of the hat's band, and also how many decreases can be made at the top).
But I am not awake enough to do that at present. So that will be something to look forward to tomorrow.
Thank you very much for the pattern!

Janey
janeyknitting@yahoo.ca

Unknown said...

Hi
I want to try to do for my Ipod this case, but I have a question.

What does mean sl2 wyib. I know that is sleep 2 but the rest I don't know.

Can you please help me.
I like your pattern a lor, is so cute and lovely.
Thanks
Mariana

Kristin said...

Mariana,

'sl2 wyib' means slip 2 stitches while you hold the yarn in back (behind your work).

Hope this helps! Let me know if anything else needs clarification!