Wednesday, March 16, 2011

On Top

I'm proud to present my very first quilt top:


Not too bad for my first attempt, huh? The design is my own, though I was inspired by a couple modern quilts that I've seen around the internet, and I tried to make everything simple to cut and piece together. This was mostly achieved by having the column widths at 1/2, 1/4, and 1/8 the width of a normal bolt of quilting fabric. Simple math always wins, especially for the first project using a new technique.


Now that I'm done with the quilt top, I really have no idea what to do from here. Fortunately, the wonderful folks at my local quilt shop were more than happy to help me calculate how much fabric I need for the backing and give me tips for how to assemble the quilt. And then they sold me a small fortune in fabric (why is is that I always fall in love with the most expensive prints?).


Now that the top is done, I think I'm going to take a break from quilting for a while and get back to knitting. There has been a sad lack of knitted finished object on the blog recently which I hope to remedy next week!

No comments: