Tuesday, June 08, 2010

My Nerdy Spinning Project

I showed you two lovely blue/brown skeins of handspun a few weeks ago, but failed to tell you that they are actually part of a larger spinning project that I am currently working on. Let me take a moment now to fill you in on the entire project.


I have a total of four rovings that I am spinning and each roving represents a different Hogwarts house founder: (clockwise from the top left) Slytherin, Hufflepuff, Gryffindor, and Ravenclaw. Totally nerdy, I know, but a good excuse to get some spinning done and work with a variety of colors. The blue/brown yarn I showed off is obviously Ravenclaw and today I get to show off Gryffindor's yarn:


I am over the moon about this yarn, which I spun from a carded batt by Hobbledehoy. The silk noil makes the texture in these singles spectacular and crazy-fun to spin! I really need to exercise restraint and not buy more batts until I spin some of the roving I already own. Admittedly, this gives me even more motivation to get spinning!


Since I spun Ravenclaw as a Navajo-ply and Gryffindor as singles, I think that Slytherin needs to be a plain old two-ply. I still have no idea about Hufflepuff's roving. Maybe I'll throw a curveball and try out core spinning or coils. I guess you'll just have to wait and see!

1 comment:

Emily said...

Great spinning work! Beautiful yarns and rovings!