Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Motivation

Motivation is a double-edged sword. I love being enthusiastic about a project to the point that I can't put the needles down, but it usually comes to the detriment of other long-term projects I'm working on. I get especially motivated at the beginning of a project, and as much as I plan and try to pace myself, I still ride these motivational highs and lows. The cycle started all over again this week when I started seriously working on my PhD quilt.


There was lots and lots of cutting this week, and even a little bit of sewing, but absolutely no knitting. (At least this means that my sewing machine is finally working correctly. It turns out that you actually need to change the needle from time to time. Oops.) In addition to experiencing new-project motivation, I can't stop working on the quilt because its happy colors are counteracting the gloom of the snowpiles currently outside my window. Is it Spring yet?


As this is my first quilt project, I'm doing a simple design that requires no complicated piecing. The photo above gives a sample of the effect I'm going for, though there will be many more strips in the final quilt-top. I haven't thought about what I'll do after I finish the quilt top, but from the way things looks so far, I doubt that I will loose my enthusiasm for this project anytime soon.

No comments: