Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Harriet

I've mentioned in a few of my recent posts that I'm making a Harriet bra. It's finally done! This project totally got stalled in the spring and again due to a notions issue, but I'll get to that in a minute. First, I need to discuss sizing.


Even though they have the same designer, the Harriet bra uses different sizing than Watson (UK v US). While I'm a 36C in Watson, the measuring guide for Harriet suggested I make a 32E. And to make things even more confusing, Harriet's UK/US size conversion chart says I'm still a 36C. I read a number of mixed reviews online - some saying to follow the measurement guide, others saying not to, and even a couple saying they were in between. So I hedged my bets, compared pattern pieces between Harriet and Watson, and went with an intermediate 34D.


So of course, this bra doesn't fit. The biggest issue is that the band is too tight. Going up a band size but keeping the same cup size would put me squarely in the realm of a 36C (my regular size). At least I can use the same size underwires?


Speaking of underwires, they're the second reason this project got stalled. I had the bra almost finished when I discovered, after inserting my underwires, that they're too long! I ordered what I thought was the right size but from a different notions supplier than the one recommended. Note to self that underwire maker matters.


So like my first Watson, this one turned out to be too small. I guess I'll have to fix that in my next Harriet!

No comments: