Saturday, January 17, 2009

Andy's Scarf

In addition to working on my vibrant knee-high socks--which I am terming the obnoxiousocks--the other project that has been keeping me busy is a scarf. A Christmas scarf for darling husband to be exact. Even though I just finished his sweater in December, he really was in great need of a new scarf. So, I put two skeins of Cascade 220 under the Christmas tree and enjoyed a couple weeks of knitting for myself in the meantime.



For the pattern, I chose a simple 8 row basket-weave; interesting to knit but not too feminine. About 6" into the scarf, however, it started to curl (damn!), and by the time I was done, the scarf looked like a palmier cookie (double damn!). So I did something I've never done to a piece of my knitwear--I ironed it.


As you can see from the pictures, the ironing worked out really well. The scarf is flat and even the pattern looks better. As long as you are careful (medium heat, moderate steam, and using a fairly light touch), I'm now of the opinion that ironing actually works better than blocking for some knitwear. But finishing aside, I just hope that my husband likes the scarf and it will keep him warm during the frozen Wisconsin winters.

No comments: