Sunday, May 03, 2009

An Invasion of Faeries

One of my favorite movies when I was a kid was Labyrinth. Between David Bowie's awesome hair and the fantastical creatures that lived in the Labyrinth, how can any child of the 80's not love it? It is the only movie that I still own in VHS form, and, even though I no longer have a tape player, I'm not giving it up anytime soon.

So it was much to my delight when I discovered Brian Froud, the artist who created many of the creatures from the Labyrinth and the Dark Crystal, last week. I immediately took two of his books, Faeries and Good Faeries Bad Faeries, out of the library. Now I'm seeing faeries everywhere!


It probably doesn't help that I've read a few tales from Faery recently, like Neil Gaiman's Stardust and The Ladies of Grace Adieu*. Without my realizing it, the faeries have crept into my literature, and I'm now convinced that one has taken up residence in my lab equipment at work.


The one place that the faeries appear not to have infiltrated is my knitting. While this can be a blessing, as faeries are known to delight in mischief, some of the more friendly faeries have been know to be muses for artists. I'm hoping that one of the latter will decide my yarn stash would make a nice home. So while I wait for my knitting inspiration to show up, I think I'll see if my library has any more of Froud's books to enjoy.

*Not Martha tipped me off to this book and I highly recommend this collection of extremely charming short stories.

No comments: