Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Sewing Inspiration: Style Stitches

The fun part of learning a new hobby is finding out all of the things you can do with that hobby. While I’m currently stuck on sewing dresses, I’m sure that a time will soon come when I move onto sewing other things and a book recently came to my attention that is inspiring me to make that time sooner rather than later.


A work friend of mine is really into sewing bags and recently showed me her copy of Amy Butler’s Style Stitches. I was immediately impressed by the beautiful designs in the book, made all the more lovely by the use of Bulter’s bold and feminine fabrics. The range of designs is also great, going from simple triangle bags to large tote bags to structured purses.


I’m particularly in love with the purse above, which may be the most difficult project in the book. Given my current sewing skills, I'm not quite up to tackling this one yet so I will probably practice my skills on the pattern that graces the front cover first. And possible a couple of the triangle bags (below).


The funny thing about this book is that it's grown on me since borrowed a library copy to peruse more thoroughly. It took a little while to look beyond the bold fabric to really see that these designs have a lot of potential. And that potential is so inspiring that it is worth sharing with you.

No comments: