Tuesday, December 10, 2013

OWL Mittens

I love finishing handknits right in time for a cold snap. This winter's just-in-time knits are my OWL mittens, which I started at the end of August. The project was slow going because the pattern was so detailed but things did speed up a bit once I learned an easier way to manage long color repeats in fair isle.


So now I have some decidedly nerdy mittens. At least the low color contrast means that they don't scream their nerdiness for everyone to see. It makes me quite happy to know that I'm wearing Harry Potter mittens that others won't recognize.


For all that I like these mittens, it's sometimes hard to see the words clearly on the palms if the light isn't right. Part of me likes this subtlety but another part of me is annoyed that I did all of that work and the pattern isn't coming through clearly. If I had to do it all over again, I would up the contrast a bit to make the words sharper. At least the back of the hands look great in all lighting.


All in all, this was a fun project and I'm looking forward to seeing how these mittens wear now that it's cold.

2 comments:

Desiree said...

Those mittens are amazing! Very cool!

Unknown said...

Embrace your cute geekiness (geekyness?)!

I love the fact that the contrast isn't over the top as you point out. These are elegant enough to wear when you need to dress up (but still stay warm) and cute to wear while out and about! Love <3