Tuesday, December 11, 2018

And The Winning Nursing Bra Is...

Back in September, I did a comparison of all the bra patterns I've made and I wanted to update my analysis now that I've gotten a chance to regularly wear them all. I should note that I'm doing this comparison for the nursing bras I made and not the regular bras, which dramatically impacts fit.

 
Currently, my two favorite handmade nursing bras to wear are the pink Romy and the white Harriet. I'm not happy about the fit of my two nursing-bra Watsons (the sizing is not forgiving to bust fluctuations, especially in the short version) or my Barrett (it's not designed for a large bust, which I now have). I'll probably get some wear out of these less-favored bras, but in the meantime I'm using this all as an excuse to make more bras in the pattern I like best: Harriet.


Meet my "winter" nursing bra in mauve velvet. This is another Harriet bra that I made from a soft bra kit from Stonemountain & Daughter Fabrics (I supplied wire casing and wires from my stash to round out the kit). I simply adore it.


I learned a few things about velvet during this project: 1) it sheds like crazy while cutting and working with; 2) triple check the pile direction and I should probably cut everything as a single layer in the future instead of on the fold; and 3) it's not fun to unpick seams done in velvet -- it's a bit cleaner to do on the velvet side, though pile direction matters for seeing the stitches well. I had a slight mishap related to #3 which required recutting the pieces for one of the cups but did better when it came to unpicking the topstitching on the casing. Oof.


Stay tuned for this bra's "summer" sister, because why make one bra at a time when you can make two?

No comments: