Monday, December 03, 2018

Tacara & Patternsy

Back when baby was sleeping most of the day, I was able to get some sewing time in to expand my post-partum wardrobe. Specifically, I made a Seamwork Tacara with the member-exclusive bonus variation. It's a relaxed-fit, split-back shirt which is great for maternity leave. Since I used my serger, the construction was straightforward (apart from me finding the neckline confusing to construct, though I love how it turned out).


The more interesting thing to note about this project is that I tried out a new resource which I heard about via Seamwork: Patternsy. Patternsy prints digital sewing patterns on lightweight tissue; you simply upload the copyshop version of the pattern .pdf file to their website and they send you the print outs in the mail. Upload to deliver time is 1-2 weeks, mostly because they are based in the UK and international shipping takes time.


I've found reassembling digital patterns from 8.5x11" print outs to be the worst part about using digital patterns -- it often takes the same amount of time to assemble the pattern as to sew the item -- so skipping that step is amazing. So to me, it's worth the delay and the price (it was less than $20 USD to print and ship 3 patterns, though costs vary by size of content printed) to get patterns on tissue. This is definitely a service that I will be using again.

No comments: