Sunday, September 06, 2009

A New Trend

If you have been paying attention to my very few knitting projects this summer, you may see a trend developing. I'll give you a clue. Since June, the only three knitting projects I've worked on are a Vivian cardigan, an Ishbel shawlette, and a Damson shawlette. The correlation between these three patterns? They were all designed by Ysolda Teague.


You could say that I am now firmly on the Ysolda bandwagon. Since seeing her lovely work in person (and meeting the designer herself) at a trunk show in June, I've come to realize all of the great patterns she's done. So when she announced the publication of her second pattern booklet, Whimsical Little Knits 2, I jumped to buy it. She's releasing the patterns one at a time, with a new pattern available for download each week. The first week was Damson and this week's pattern was Veyla:


Needless to say, Veyla was a relatively quick knit. I worked it up in Knit Picks Shimmer in the Cummulus colorway, with the laceweight held double to approximate a fingering weight. Between the alpaca-silk yarn and all of the wonderful little details of the pattern (from the cuff edging to the little leaf detail on the back of the hand), these mitts are divine. The special finishing touch was using mismatched buttons from my late great-aunt's vintage button collection. I can already tell that these mitts are going to be a favorite of mine!


So there is another Ysolda pattern checked off the list. I still have to finish the Vivian cardigan, hopefully before it gets too cold, and I actually just cast on another Ishbel this week (the one I was thinking to make on my vacation). As these patterns represent just a few of Ysolda's beautiful designs, I don't expect this new knitting trend to end anytime soon.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Okay I'm going to check out her patterns right now... those are sooo elegant! And the buttons are just perfect!

Unknown said...

beautiful!!!!