Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Neville Longbottom is a BAMF

I've been featuring a lot of non-knitting content on my blog recently as I work up my Vivian cardigan. The good news is that it is coming along nicely--I am almost done with the second sleeve and looking forward to working on the yoke. The bad news is that I again have no knitting to share with you today. But I do have a cute Harry Potter-related cross stitch to show off:


And by Neville, I of course mean Neville Longbottom (who is one of my favorite characters from the series). He goes from being a complete bumbler in the first book to a bad @$$ who kills big snakes and whoops your butt in Herbology by book 7. Apparently this transformation entitles him to his own Chuck Norris-type facts. I'm partial to the one I stitched, but there are some other really brilliant ones on Neville's fact list.

Picking the quote was half of the battle; the other challenge was to convert it to a stitch-able font. Luckily, I ran across this list of free fonts and was really taken with the StitchCross. After that, it was simply a matter of printing out my phrase in the StitchCross font and adjusting the math to ensure that everything was centered correctly. And doing the actual stitching, of course. This quote now lives on my craft desk, where it makes me smile and aspire to be as bad @$$ as Neville some day.

2 comments:

Pam (prodgersrn on Ravelry) said...

Awesome! Neville is indeed a BAMF. Another great one I've seen is, "When Voldemort goes to sleep at night, he checks his closet for Molly Weasley."

Off to check out the links you posted...

Unknown said...

Too freakin' cute! Thanks for the link... so many good ones. I really like "Neville Longbottom listens to Mandrake cries on his iPod for entertainment"

hehehe

Hasn't this semester been a killer?! Hope the research is going well.

Oh, and I can't wait to see the finished cardi!