Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Sew Lovely

I wasn't joking in last week's blog post when I said I've been bitten hard by the sewing bug. Though I started with a simple bag project, I've quickly moved onto clothing and I don't anticipate putting away my sewing machine anytime soon. Thankfully, I found a cute and easy pattern to help with the transition from a small bag to a wearable object.


I made this dress in the two days following my adventure with the box bag and I'm super pleased that it looks decent and actually fits! I was lucky to have the pattern (Vogue V8184) and the fabric (Betty Dear "Aqua Floral" cotton print by Robert Kaufman) already on hand, so I could easily satisfy my growing desire to sew. Too bad we just got about 5 inches of snow, so I won't actually be wearing this dress for a while.


Perhaps the best part about this project was the process, which refreshed my memory on how to cut pattern pieces, follow an easy-grade pattern, and insert a zipper (thankfully, I finally found my sewing machine's zipper foot but not until after I put this zipper in... oh well). I also learned how to insert boning (to support the bodice) and experimented with detailing on the seams (shown above). I'm now feeling more comfortable with the whole process and I'm ready to tackle a slightly more challenging sewing project.


I've already bought fabric for this next project (another dress) and have plans to do a lot more sewing in the future. Don't worry, I'm also working on an exciting knitting project which I'm looking forward to sharing with you soon. Just don't be surprised if you see more sewing projects along with knitting projects in future blog posts.

4 comments:

lunaticraft said...

What great fabric! Adorable dress.

doviejay said...

Oh WOW! Briney you look great! I love the dress - you're a talented seamstress!

Kristin said...

Thanks for the nice comments about my dress, lunaticraft and doviejay!

My mother taught me how to sew when I was a kid, but it's been a while. I was very relieved to discover that I haven't entirely forgotten the skill (though I totally admit to calling my mother in the middle of JoAnn fabric the other day needing help).

Debbi said...

You did a great job on this! I love the color.