Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Quilt Shop Hop

While recent blog posts attest to the fact that I've been logging a lot of time at my sewing machine, I am by no means a quilter. This is evidenced by the fact that the one quilt project I actually started is still languishing in the corner waiting to be finished. Despite my mixed success with quilting, I've discovered one thing I really love about the hobby: the quilt shop hop.


The Wisconsin State Quilt Shop Hop is currently taking place until the end of the month and I participated this past weekend in conjunction with the (extended) extended family: my brother-in-law's girlfriend, her mother, and my mother-in-law. The premise of the hop is to visit stores statewide in order to shop and participate in shop hop activities. The later includes getting your shop-hop passport stamped, buying special shop-hop quilt-square kits, and entering into drawings.


Despite not being a quilter, I really enjoyed touring the fabric stores and even came home with a few items. I got:

  • a pattern book to make 4 placemats and a table-runner using yardage and a charm pack
  • two lovely fleece fat-quarters (to be gloves using McCall's 6450)
  • some laminated fabric (to be a rain-proof hat)
  • an embroidery stitch guide
  • a small bag kit that uses this mini charm pack

And though it's cheesy to say, the best thing I came home with is honestly the inspiration to get sewing!


I really had a lovely time with the ladies and would definitely do another shop hop in the future. Since we visited 5 stores near Madison--Stitcher's CrossingSaving ThymeJ.J. StitchesMill House Quilts (first photo), and Village Creek (above)--I think next time I'll hop in some shops near Milwaukee.

No comments: