Sunday, August 20, 2006

I've gone to the dark side...

Here are the words that no true knitter really likes to admit: I enjoy crocheting.

Since my last post about my initial attempt at this needle art, I decided to learn exactly how crochet works and its advantages/disadvantages compared to knitting. So, I went to my local library and took out the new Stitch 'N Bitch Crochet book. Just like her knitting book, Deb Stoller provides clear instructions and interesting patterns. I also discovered that my first crochet project was 'hybrid crochet', and that I did not create any of my stitches in the correct way. I have since learned to do it correctly and have even finished my first project--a bag to use at the farmer's market. As it was my first project, I used a cheap acrylic yarn and a very open mesh stitch just to get the feel of hookin'. The result is a large, over-the-shoulder bag that will definitely come in handy for my frequent trips to the farmer's market. As an added bonus, it only took me about 4 nights to complete!



Even though I crochet now, I am still a knitter, which means I have unfinished knitting projects stuffed in all corners of my room. In fact, I've had one big one on the needles since I started this blog--my knitted wrap. It's made of an olive green alpaca-silk blend from KnitPicks done in a honeycomb stitch, and it will be really nice if I ever finish it. The design is basically a large panel that wraps around my back, crosses in front and has sleeves for the lower part of my arms. I'll have to model it when it's finished so you can see how it works. Here's what it looks like so far:



Anyway, the real reason I am bring this up (besides that fact that I haven't shown pictures of it yet) is that I realized that I do not have enough yarn to finish it. Which naturally leads to every fiber-obsessed person's two favorite words: stash enhancement. Normally, I would just buy the amount of extra yarn I need and not deplete my poor graduate student's budget any more. But I bought this yarn at Knitpicks, which has free shipping on all yarn purchases over $40 (and you can buy A LOT of KnitPicks yarn for $40). With the yarn I needed, I was already half-way to the magic number, so I figured, why waste money on shipping when I can buy more yarn instead? Yes, I will use any excuse to buy more yarn.


The last thing that is happening on the fiber front is that I have recently discovered knitting podcasts! You can find them for free on the iTunes store and subscribe to get semi-weekly updates. I've tried out 'Lime & Violet' and 'CastOn' so far and have been pleasently surprised. These two podcasts are very different, but I really like hearing people talk about knitting, yarn, etc. Plus, is gives me time to relax and knit for a while. This could be addicting...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want an iPod pouch! I've got a nano, and I would like it in black. Thanks!

I'll buy you a few drinks on thursday for it!

Anonymous said...

Oops, it was me, Justin.